Skip to main content

LeConte Glacier Paddleboarding Explore | ALASKA (Guest Series: 11)

Alaska. Alluring. Feral. Tempestuous. Captivating. These are a few adjectives to describe the Great State I live in. Alaska is home to lakes, rivers, mountains, glaciers and coastline that  extends for 33,904 miles including all the islands.


This story is not about the size of Alaska or it’s shoreline, but glaciers. The Alaska Almanac estimates that Alaska has 100,000 glaciers while only 616 of them are officially named. Specifically this story is about LeConte Glacier, which is located just outside of Petersburg, Alaska. My hometown.

Our morning started early in September of 2019. Packing up gear for a day on our friend’s boat. After inflating my stand up paddle board we headed to The Salty Pantry to grab food for the day. The shoreline was nothing but a curtain of white fog as we ventured through the Wrangell Narrows. 

The goal of the day was to get as close as we could to the glacier so I could paddle around on my stand up paddle board. As we ventured closer we hugged the shoreline till the fog lifted and the sun burned through. Nearing LeConte Glacier you would think you were in Norway with fjords kissed with streams. Goats freckle the outlying cliffs and mountains.


As we approached LeConte Bay it was looking as though we wouldn’t be approaching the face today. There was iceberg buildup out into the bay. Although seemingly small, only ⅓ of the iceberg is visible, and it’s extremely hard, damaging the bottoms of boats easily. We got as close as we could while allowing some distance to the flow of ice. I was itching to get the paddle board into the water and start paddling around. 

 I was a bit shaky at first, it was my first time out on the open water. I took to my knees till I felt a bit more confident. I might need to mention that I was wearing a pretty decent wetsuit and my xtratuf boots. One thing Alaska has taught me, be prepared, always. 


 I have never felt so at peace out on the water. The boat didn’t get too far away, but I honestly didn’t notice it once I was out paddling around. The sound of the water on the icebergs was so serene. Feeling so small in that field of ice with mountains jutting up amidst the fjords beside me. I paddled back to the boat for a check in. I was smiling ear to ear. I didn’t want to return to the boat I could have paddled for hours. 


After paddling around a bit longer I got brave enough to go between the slush and icebergs. The feeling of being so small was invigorating. Knowing I couldn’t paddle around solo all day I headed back to the boat. This time the approach was a bit faster than the first. In fact, too fast. I ended up bumping  the boat with the bow of the SUP and pretty much walked  right off the board! Fortunately I grabbed the rails on the boat as my board flew out behind me. My feet and lower half dangled in the water as everyone realized what was happening. Talk about leaving me breathless. The water near the glacier is a frigid 6 degree Celsius/42.8 degree Fahrenheit bay. As quickly as I was hanging off the side our friends got me in the boat to catch my breath. I had to go out one more time. Couldn’t let that stop me. The suit I had on quickly warmed the water in it with my body heat and I was back out among the field of ice.

 The day continued with some lunch from The Salty Pantry and a little exploring on the beach. Spotting river otters in rocks along the water and mountain goats high in the rocky cliffs the day couldn’t get much better. I started to get a bit chilled so I changed into extra warm clothes I brought with me. Remember, always be prepared. Now cozy in my puffy pants and jacket we began to head home. 


Any Alaskan knows that icebergs are very unstable. They can flip at any second out on the water. However it doesn’t stop us from jumping on them for picture opportunities. 


This was my first time on an iceberg. As I coaxed my friends to follow, the shrills of excitement couldn’t be contained. What a day in Alaska. If you want the full story on video head to my YouTube Channel, Marissa Collison, www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_E932QJOPg


If you love this series, Please comments below, Want to know more about Alaska? Subscribe Marissa Collison On YouTube.


            By: Marissa Collison | Petersburg, Alaska

                      YouTube Video Creator


       

                                     

 

 

Comments

  1. This looks so great!! I had a great time reliving the experience and writing it down for everyone to read. Thank for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you everyone for your valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome 👌❤️. One day definitely I will visit this heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you love this series, Please comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Visit Lauterbrunnen, Most beautiful village

Stunning Lauterbrunnen Valley. If you follow any Travel Blog then chances are you’ll know of this valley, or at least have seen it in pictures.  Pic: Silvia B. Riesgo It is probably one of the most scenic places in the world, and should be on list who enjoys the outdoors, mountains, and landscape photography. First reach to Swiss Star Zurich Airport. Book you air ticket earlier to go Zurich. Check any online portal for flight booking. After reach to zurich hire a cab to go Lauterbrunnen. And going from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen is an easy couple of hours. After reach hotel take rest after that walk and explore town and to the base of the famous Staubbach Falls, You can go local pubs also. From Lauterbrunnnen, you can visit Wengen.  Wengen, another small town that sits way above Lauterbrunnen and is only accessible by either the famous Swiss alpine trains, or by walking. Wengen is equally picturesque, and if anything provides you with even better views of the valley below due to it’s posi

THE JOURNEY | Danielle Paiva (Guest Series: 10)

“A man needs to travel. By his own, not through stories, pictures, books or TV. He needs to travel by himself, with his eyes and feet, to understand what is his. To one day plant his own trees and value them. Knowing the cold to enjoy the heat. And the opposite. Feel the distance and absence of shelter to be well under his own roof. A man needs to travel to places that he does not know to break this arrogance that makes us see the world as we imagine it, and not simply as it is or can be. That makes us teachers and doctors of what we have not seen, when we should be students, and simply go and see.” This text by Amyr Klink has always inspired me. I discovered my passion for travel (exploring places), languages ​​(knowing how to communicate) and photography(recording moments) in 2005, when I did my first exchange program at the age of 17. In July I went with a group of young Brazilians to take a basic English course in Toronto, Canada. This group trip, which was guided, was organized an

Wonders of Georgia (Guest Series: 20)

Seven Days across Georgia I will always remember 27th of December as the day we fulfilled yet another travel dream. Years of waiting, hunting for affordable plane tickets and five hours on the bus and we were finally there-the heart of Georgia -Tbilisi.  We have left our backpacks at our flat and started strolling through the city. First impressions-mad drivers, amazing architecture and our first 'SUPRA'( dinner ). By accident we have found a small, inconspicuous looking restaurant, owned by an older Georgian Couple. Using first, English (not a word was useful), German, body language and finally Polish we have managed to order something to eat. What we did not know at that time was that this place would become our second home during our stay. The food, the ambiance and charm of its owners created something that I would call an ultimate dining experience.  Where to eat, what to eat and most def try CAFE NIKOLAZI, ANTON KATALIKOSI ST.34, TBILISI 0105, GEORGIA *Khachapuri -bread w